I have to admit that I am not a meat eater and neither is my little guy, But my husband and oldest son do enjoy it. I purchased a package of Bratwurst links on sale and had no idea what to do with them except I knew there should be sauerkraut involved! After poking around on a few sites I threw together this slow cooker combo from a few different recipes. I loved the sauerkraut, but my son and husband said they weren’t sure about the apples. I liked the sweet taste that the apples added. You can of course just pick them out. My son loved that the links were so tender that he could cut through them with his fork. This was quick, easy and made the place smell yummy. Enjoy!
- 5-6 bratwurst links
- 1 16-oz. package sauerkraut undrained
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, diced into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mustard ( I used a course grainy mustard- yum!)
- hot dog buns or hearty rolls
- Line bottom of crockpot with bratwurst links and top with sauerkraut, apples and onion. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours. Bratwurst should reach 165ºF on an instant-read thermometer. ( I didn’t use the thermometer)
- Place mustard on rolls, add your brat, spoon on sauerkraut and apples and serve!
Note: I ran out of buns before I took the photo! Oops!