Someone once said to me that they couldn’t imagine writing a post of things they learned every week, I admit it is hard. I usually write things down on small pieces of paper during the week so I remember. Sometimes I have lost the list and other times I just toss it because it might not be that good. Honestly, writing this post helps me take a look at life in a much deeper fashion than I have in the past. I hope you enjoy reading it and I hope that you continue to stay with me on this journey as we move on to 2016 in a few weeks. Here you go……
This week I learned that…..
10. retail has thrown me for another holiday loop! I needed to pick up some more lights and a wreath and it was impossible! I went to 4 different stores to find icicle lights. (Christmas items have been marked down 50% or more off. Everything was gone! I think they are doing this to avoid losing money and marking things down 75% or more off after the holidays. Not cool! I also spotted Valentines candy on display. Blah!)
9. there seems to be a new craze of hosting parties online. ( I keep getting invitations to these online parties to buy things- Tupperware, make-up etc. I miss the olden days when I got drinks and appetizers before I got hit up with a sales pitch and felt obligated to buy something because I ate your onion dip.)
8. my doctor said that a lot of people my age are on some sort of medication. ( This is the second year in a row that I went for my yearly visit and my doctor was surprised that I wasn’t on any medication. I feel lucky and happy that my attempt at a healthy lifestyle are working.)
7. the apple doesn’t always fall from the tree. ( Unfortunately, I’ve learned that mean girls usually have mean moms and the same follows for boys and their dads. Children learn by example.)
6. my little Beetle Bug is still a surprise to people when I pull up. ( I don’t know if it’s the fact that I don’t have a huge SUV for my 2 kids or the fact that I never posted a photo of my car on Facebook. It’s over a year old- the thrill should be over.)
5. you find out who the takers are when they disappear after you have nothing left to give. ( Or when you are smart enough to stop giving I should say.)
4. being there counts. ( Enough said.)
3. my hatred towards the Elf on Shelf was turned into a shot at the magic of Christmas. (Seriously? I love Santa and Christmas. My hatred towards plastic head does not in any way damage my children or their belief in the Claus! Done!)
2. sometimes people need to be reminded that it’s all about perspective. ( This doesn’t have to be a bad reminder. A gentle, “Hey by the way…..” sometimes is enough.)
1. it’s hard to feel blessed when others around you are suffering. ( What I learned about this feeling is that I need to still be able to celebrate my joys, but use them to bring others comfort and their own joy. )
Just a few more days of school to go for 2015! I know I’m so over it! How about you?