We have all heard it before, “Put your oxygen mask on first then place it on your child.” How many of us actually pay attention to the fact that we need to stop and take a breath? If you are curled up on your kitchen floor crying it is too late, you went to far before you asked for helped. I know that asking for help is a hard thing to do, but we all need help at some point. So, while I didn’t end up on my floor in a ball of tears I came close to it and I didn’t even realize it until my husband said, “Why don’t I take the kids so you can have a day to yourself?” Alone time? I have a teen and a tween and they can fend for themselves. I had no idea that having some alone time would make a difference, but it did. Here is how I spent my day and what I learned about myself in the process.
Here are 10 things I did during my alone time:
10. I started by day by processing some food from my garden. I canned more pickles and made chicken zucchini meatballs for dinner, and some zucchini chips! I do enjoy cooking, growing things, and not wasting food. This has been a great year for us to bring our garden back.
9. I opened a bottle of chilled white wine before noon. Well, it was 11:30 and after being in the hot kitchen it was nice to have a glass.
8. Hold on to your hats….I went skinny dipping in our pool! LOL! My husband didn’t think I would do it, but I did and it was great! I couldn’t stop giggling afterwards.
7. I finished reading a book and started another while sitting outside. I couldn’t stop smiling. I think I was still giddy from my dip!
6. I stayed offline. I was tempted to share about day, but then I wouldn’t really be spending time alone. I highly recommend spending time offline.
5. I wondered what everyone else was doing with their day. LOL! Yes, I did, especially my husband and sons. I didn’t text or call them. I just let them be and life went on.
4. I watched inappropriate TV. As my boys have gotten older they can watch more things, but I still draw the line at some shows. (I watched Shameless!)
3. I made myself some onion rings in the air fryer and I didn’t have to share with anyone. They were so good!!!!!
2. I lip-synced and danced to a record album. Talk about old-school. I had so much fun.
1. I discovered a brown egg in the coop. We haven’t had a brown egg since a predator killed 4 of our chickens. I’m taking this as a sign of rebirth, a new life! We all need a break when emotions run high. Then we get right back to life, refreshed and ready to start anew.