It seems as if the my New Year theme this year is going to be #Adulting. I think I’m ready for it. So, many lessons have been learned this past year and I feel as if I know where I need to focus my energy. It is not going to be easy, but most things in life that are worth anything aren’t. As usual my January calendar is packed, but I am going to take time this month to reflect, plan, and organize myself. Let’s see what kind of a ride 2019 is going to take me on…..
This year taught me that:
10. Saying yes and showing up are important in forming relationships and connections with people. ( Last year I learned how to say no to things that I didn’t want to do or couldn’t do. This year I learned to say yes! Yes, to things that scared me, yes to meeting friends when I might be feeling lazy, and yes to me. It’s amazing how just showing up for yourself and for someone else makes a difference.)
9. you need to do the right thing because it feels good to you not because you feel you should do it. (If it doesn’t feel good then it’s not the right thing. The right thing should bring you joy.)
8. you should never do something if you expect something in return and you should never not do something because you know you won’t get anything back. (Does that make sense? A favor is a favor. You do something for someone because you want to and not because you expect it back. )
7. not everyone can appreciate your work. (Don’t spend your energy or resources on those people. They will never get it.)
6. I am not the only person going through something. ( Just because some of us don’t publicize it on social media doesn’t mean our lives are perfect and not pained. And no I don’t have to share my pain if I don’t want to. Just be kind to people. You just don’t know.)
5. some people grow and change and others don’t. (Once someone shows you who they are you can’t be mad at them for not being who you think they should be. Life has taught me that one well.)
4. I’m not the baby anymore. (Ugh, someone pointed this fact out to me and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I’m not. I’m an adult whether I like it or not. New mind set.)
3. you will never make everyone happy and that shouldn’t bother you. (You do what feels right, feels good and makes you happy and the rest will follow. Once again, make sure their is kindness in your choice.)
2. sometimes people just don’t want to be part of your life anymore. (You need to just let them go instead of having them linger. It will be better for everyone.)
1. not everything is about you. When people treat you, your home, your family, etc with disrespect it says more about them then it will ever say about you. Maybe, something is going on with them. Not your problem or your fault.
One of the biggest demons I struggle with in my life is trying to not take things personally or be paranoid. I have made many assumptions in the past and have almost always been proved wrong. It is such a waste of time and energy. I’m happy to report that I have been doing better at this lesson that life has taught me. It may have taken me a long time, but it was worth it.