Lately, I have been spending more time in the kitchen and concentrating on making healthy meals. My cookbook club has been an inspiration to me. Suddenly, I feel as if my cooking had become mundane and I found myself making the same things over and over again. So, I’m trying to mix it up a bit every week and give something new a try. I found a recipe for a healthier version of Chicken Cacciatore and with some adjustments made it my own. I added more spices and more greens to make it a flavorful and complete meal. This does take some prep time so save it for when you can immerse yourself in the experience. I recently served this at a Sunday lunch and it went fast! It doesn’t taste even close to my mom’s version, but I can count my macronutrients in this dish while I can’t with hers. The colors alone scream health!
Chicken Cacciatore: Prep secrets
Since I was serving a multi-course meal I prepped the chicken earlier. You ca brown the chicken on both sides and place it aside. I also prepped the mushrooms at this time and added them to the chicken I placed on the side. Later, I went on to complete the dish. The next few steps take about 30 minutes.
Remember not to overcook the peppers as we want to see that bright red color!
Did I say how much I love all the colors in the dish? I’d say in total give yourself an hour from start to finish with this dish. It will be worth it! I used so many greens that you can barely the see the chicken in there! I did have leftover greens and I’ll show you in another post what you can do with those if you have any. (Think eggs and breakfast!)
- 2 TBS Olive Oil
- 6 Boneless, skinless, Chicken Breasts.
- Kosher salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
- 10 oz Mushrooms
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, also thinly sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 Tsps Mixed Italian Seasonings
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch of collard greens, discard stems and chop leaves
- ½ cup pitted Italian green olives
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Heat oil on medium-high in a deep skillet. Season your chicken with salt and black pepper. Cook about 4 minutes on each side till browned. Remove and place on plate.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and cook about 4 minutes until brown and tender. Then plate with chicken.
- Turn the heat down to medium, add onions, peppers, garlic, and Italian Seasonings. Cook about 8 minutes and add wine. Cook about 3 more minutes till it reduces. Add your tomatoes with juice to pan.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms back in and simmer while covered for about 15 minutes.
- Next add in Collard Greens and crushed red pepper and cover again for another 10 minutes.
- Uncover, add olives and parsley. Stir and serve!