Last week Be Your Best Mom was invited to attend a simplify your life event at the Chelsea Piers Sports Complex hosted by Perfectly Simple by Zone Perfect. I attended a yoga class and during lunch was able to hear top professionals speak about ways we can simply our life. The information was so good that I’ll be sharing it in three different posts. I felt inspired when I left the event. I hope you will feel the same way after reading the posts. Today I want to share with you tips that Heather Bauer, R.D.,C.D.N shared with us during the event. Read on and learn these tips and more about Heather!
10 Tips for Simplifying Nutrition by Heather Bauer
Simple tips, but large impact! Let’s start with breakfast. It truly is the most important meal of the day. Here are 5 tips for breakfast alone:
- Hotels and breakfast buffets: Free food is not your friend! Take a walk and see what is being offered. Choose an egg white omelet if a station is available and add plenty of veggies. A better choice is to skip the buffet and order something off the menu such as poached eggs.
- The Car Breakfast: Keep handy fruits, single serve packs of almonds, low fat string cheese any healthy grab and go items!
- The Slow starter: Instead of hitting the drive thru grab a Perfectly Simple bar. It’s gluten free and has clean ingredients. It’s convenient and saves you calories.
- Frequent Flyers: Once again, plan ahead and have some pre-packaged foods ready in order to avoid those calories found at the airport. If you have to buy choose an egg sandwich and take off the bread.
- Sunday breakfasts: Try replacing pancake batter with oatmeal, egg whites, and cottage cheese. Finish the batter with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Lunch Made Simple:
6. Brown Bag It: Bringing your own lunch allows you to fill your bag with healthy choices to help you make it through the day. Want something hot? How about a frozen meal that has a healthy amount of protein, starch, and veggies.
7. Out for lunch: Skip the bread basket! Try to checkout the menu before you go. This will help you make a choice that’s not on impulse. Don’t be afraid to ask for things like no starch and extra veggies.
8. Same rules for out to lunch! Use the 3/4 rule and don’t eat everything off your plate. Take some home with you. Slow down your eating. At home use chopsticks to help with your pace. Have your water glass filled 3 times to help you feel full.
9. Plan ahead with staples like frozen veggies, chicken breasts and frozen meals when you are at home. Prepare meals that can include leftovers to be used in other meals.
10. Make it a rule to drink at least 1 liter of water before lunchtime.
About Heather Bauer:
Heather Bauer is a nationally recognized nutrition expert, author, and entrepreneur. In 2012, she founded Bestoweda subscription service that offeres consumers a personalized way to discover, sample, shop, and learn about the best nutrition and lifestyle products on the market. Heather also is the founder of Nu-Train, a diet and weight loss counseling center where thousands of people have learned how to safely lose weight and keep it off for good. She is the author of two top selling books; The Wall Street Diet (Hyperion 2008) and Bread is the Devil (St. Martin’s Press 2012) and has a regular column on The Huffington Post where she writes about the latest trends in diet, health and nutrition.
Disclosure: I was not compensated for post, but I did product while attending the event. All thoughts as always are my own.