Macaroni and cheese are a favorite in many households. After trying many recipes this one is a sure-fire fan of both adults and kids. A true miracle! The original recipe appeared in Country Home magazine, but I have tweaked it several times to achieve this family favorite. It’s even been a hit on playdates.
This recipe begins on the stove top and can be modified to your family’s tastes quiet easily. While the recipe calls for Cheddar cheese I use a mix of whatever I have in the house which is usually Pepper Jack and Monterey Jack Cheeses. It adds a little extra punch!
Now while the mixture is a yummy and creamy right form the stove top, adding it to the oven gives it the adult crispness and comforting baked flavor. Once again, so many things that you can do with this recipe. It also freezes well. I usually make an entire pound of pasta and freeze some in individual sized containers. This way I have it handy for school lunches ( I use a thermos.) I also use them for when I need something quick for my son that’s a vegetarian and I’m making something he won’t eat.
Macaroni and Cheese for Everyone:
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion
- 2 TBS Unsalted Butter
- 2 TBS All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 TBS Dijon-Style Mustard
- 3 Cups (12 ounces) Extra-Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- ⅛ TSP Ground Nutmeg
- ½ TSP Hot Pepper Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 16 Ounces Elbow Macaroni or other Small Pasta
- 2 TBS Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Bread Crumbs (Optional)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan on low heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft, not brown. About 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in flour.
- Remove from heat and whisk in milk.
- Return to stove-top and cook over medium heat until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
- Remove from heat again, stir in mustard, 10 ounces of cheddar cheese, nutmeg, and hot pepper sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta according to package. Drain and rinse. Stir into cheese sauce.
- Add to baking dish or dishes.
- Top with remaining cheddar, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and bread crumbs.
- Bake in oven in 400 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes or until mixture bubbles and edges are golden brown.